Monday, February 15, 2010

From Holland?

At last, it has been made! For weeks I have been looking for the day when I can make this. I first saw it in the movie Julie and Julia. The main character Julie Powell made hollandaise sauce and used it as an artichoke dip. She briefly read out the recipe and I thought, "Wow, so little ingredients, not complex, and looks really good! Must try!"

I used this recipe. There were others that said to use a double boiler but I did not want to do it that way. It felt too troublesome. I'm sure it can be done if you have good heat control. It was because of this recipe that I bought my mixing bowl! That will be covered in another post. :)

The main ingredient is butter. Loads of butter! We melted 1 and 3/4 sticks of it! We're clarifying the butter here.

Oohh! Fattening natural butter!!



Joel and I were holding up the pots during the mixing of butter to the sabayon. So our forearms kinda ached a bit after that. Hahaha, we need more training.


The colour of hollandaise sauce is very nice. Light yellow cream. However, I felt it should be less yellow but Dora and Joel said it's okay! Maybe I try another time with less yolk. We added 4 yolks instead of 3 because apparently my eggs were not "large" enough. I'm going for 3 the next round. I'm also going to try more pepper and less lemon.
Well, that was dinner. Eggs Benedict without the bacon and English muffin. Substitute by Wagyu beef patty, wholemeal and white bread. Hehe. :D

After dinner, we still had leftover sauce to do this! Port wine courtesy of Joel and a Big Bag of Calbee Hot and Spicy Potato Chips!

6 comments:

becca :] said...

i'm gonna try this one day soon.

goodness, it looks so yummy!!!!

aar.n said...

To becca :]: Hehe. It does! Just be careful not to burn the butter while clarifying it. I burnt it on my second try and it was very very bad. Smelt a bit like caramel. :( Hahaha.

becca said...

ehh. you very technical with your cooking.

i just cook with FEELINGS.

so if its burnt, it's okay. :)

hahas.


x

aar.n said...

To becca: Hahaha! At least I don't cook like a robot k! You really don't want to burn butter. I burnt it, and I FELT sad and disappointed.

Heh. :)

Gerome said...

That looks really good. I want to try some!

aar.n said...

To Gerome: Haha! Come over to Singapore la, I'll make for you!