Thursday, April 5, 2007

Something is sizzling!

We are sorry to interupt your daily television schedule to bring you this urgent message.
Blog Entry Generator Aaron said to official editor of What am I doing?, "I am going to interupt the schedule and post something else instead!"

Today, something very interesting took place. I did not pack my lunch because Technical Supervisor Alan Young told Patrick yesterday that there was a barbecue taking place today and I was invited as well. I was having thoughts of beef and sausages, and in large quantities! When lunch time came, I was a little shock because it was not like what I thought it was.

In many cases of barbecues that happen in Singapore, the organiser will buy all the food and the people share the cost. However, it was different for this case. You bring what you want to cook on the barbecue pit. I think it is a good plan to do it this way. It is fair to everyone, there will be no food wastages and you are to blame if you cannot finish.

You supply pit, he supply meat and I eat. Deal?

Gas powered, the pit was long. Look at the space that 4 sausages took up. It can hold up to more than 50 sausages! Tons of space just like Australia! Patrick said he had a piece of beef for me and I thanked him for it. Ivan brought kangaroo meat for lunch. He asked me to try it. It was not bad. The colour is the same as beef but I think it is a bit softer? I do not know. I took 2 slices of bread, placed the beef steak, kangaroo meat and grilled onions on it and ate that for lunch. I did not put any sauce for it because I felt awkward. They only have tomato sauce so I did not mind not having it anyway.


The barbecue took place in the workshop. The sun was shining brightly that afternoon. 7 caucasian technicians and 1 chinese student/technician. Definitely I felt outnumbered and small though big. "What if they do not get my joke? What about Singlish? Nah.. Better not." is what I thought to myself. I just sat there listening to their jokes, the way they spoke and laughed when I understood a joke or felt something was funny. Another thing was, burps were coming out when conversations were taking place. Loud and long, and no "excuse me". If I heard it correctly, someone burped and said yea at the same time as we left 45 minutes later. Incredible!

Now I know I must bring my own meat and bread and sauce whenever barbecues take place. I must get a barbecue pit in the future as well! A long one! And gas powered! Hehe :D

We shall resume the usual schedule on my working colleagues in the next issue of What am I doing? Have a good day mate!

9 comments:

Zen|th said...

It's all about getting used to different culture. It's always a good experience.

aar.n said...

To Zenith: Yup true. It is definitely a good experience. A lot of new things to see and know! Haha

Kath said...

Wah the pit is BIG! Your workshop people seem really cool - and being in a workshop sounds fun, surrounded by equipment, many things to learn.

aar.n said...

To Kathryn: Haha! You have to get one yourself! :D Yeap it is enjoyable! Hands are always dirty with oil or plumbing silicon. But it is very messy! I should volunteer to clean the workshop up one day. HAha

amazed. said...

please don't learn the burping thingy from them! :)

aar.n said...

To smile for me :): I can't! I cannot forcefully burp! The only way is the other way and I have mastered it! :P

Anonymous said...

eeeeeeeeeee

aar.n said...

To anonymous: Blehh!! Hahaha :D

Anne said...

aaron u ate kangaroo meeat..?

it's like eating roo from winnie the pooh :o

and kangaroo jack from kangaroo jack :o

let's go get a barbeque pit and cook teppanyaki :D