Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Adelaide Metro!

When I first came here, I was lost. Took me some time to understand how the buses operated. There are the usual buses, trains and taxis. Extras are the tram and the O-bahn. For all transport services except the taxis, you must validate your ticket upon entry. A small rectangular ticket measuring 67mm x 30mm. Different colours state different types.




The red part shows it is a multitrip ticket. It entitles me to 10 trips. There are also blue ones and charcoal ones. When you validate your ticket, it prints a time on your ticket. If you board the bus at 1830h, the validated ticket will show 2030h. This means you do not pay when you validate upon boarding 100 buses and trains within that 2 hours. Once the time has exceeded, you will pay upon the next validation. So sometimes we try to get things done and validate just in time before it expires. Hehe.

There are ways to cheat this system and I see people doing it. The trains are easy to cheat because the driver cannot do anything. The buses are almost impossible because you must pass the driver. The tram have 1 driver and 1 bus inspector walking around checking if you have a ticket. If you do not have, you must buy. Maybe you could show an already used ticket? Possible. I have not sat in a taxi and I do not wish to do so because I heard it is expensive.

In a country where public transport is not heavily emphasised, they will have long waiting times. The train to town from my place comes at 30 minute intervals and 1 hour intervals after 6.50pm. The buses to town is similar as well. I have to plan the route and make sure we catch the bus or else, :| Susa man!

The O-bahn is something unique. Imagine a bus like a train. Similar to the Skybus at Changi Airport except the bus can mount and dismount from the tracks. Going on the O-bahn will allow the bus to travel faster and without obstructions. Not bad but making the tracks will have high initial cost. I took it once when sending my mum back to Singapore.

Overall, I think the transport system can be good and bad depending on situations. I miss my SGD$52 concession pass. Good thing I stay near my school and do not have to worry about missing the bus! :D

Coming up next! The entry may be much later than expected! Due to the editor taking on another job doing an interim report that is due by the end of the month! It will cost him a lot if not enough effort is put in! Sorry folks! Till then, happy waiting and thank you for reading! Good day!

2 comments:

Zen|th said...

I've got to try riding on one of those things.

aar.n said...

To zen|th: There is also another interesting thing about the buses! It will tilt to the left to lower the step of the bus. Subarashii sasupenshion!