Tuesday, May 1, 2007

"Will you look at that Jimmy!"

I want to thank God for keeping me safe for 49 days down under. Many things have happened and I thank Him so much for all the experiences He has given me. Thank You Lord.


All around the city, there are interesting, fascinating and exciting structures or monuments that you can see. I saw a lot of statues of people whom I do not know. The first piece of engineering.

Is it a bird?! Is it a plane?! Oei! Where are you looking at?

I came across this interesting structure on the way to the Adelaide Zoo. It was popping out at the side along the pavement outside the museum. It's a water cooler. You're stunned I know. It's hard to believe isn't it that along a walkway lies a fountain of refreshment for everyone to drink. I found it very unique because where is the basin for the water that failed to enter your mouth? This is how it works. You place your mouth in between the splash guard and the nozzle which is the shiny tip. You depress the big shiny button. Water shoots out like magic into your mouth. Excess drops onto the splash guard and flows down all the way into the thin slot located on the ground. I have to say it is the most creative water cooler I have ever seen till now. It was not vandalised and the water was water.

The 2nd piece of engineering.


This is a street lamp designed by the Sustainable Energy Center (SEC) under UniSA. There were many located all around Victoria Square but I am not sure about the other parts of town. The solar panels are pasted on the oval shaped plate which is curved slightly. I think it is purposely curved so as to expose as much possible surface to the sun. It provided me with good shelter as well while waiting for the city shuttle bus.

The following 2 pieces of engineering are real classics.



Hi uncle! What goodies are you keeping from me?

These 2 machinery are older than me. The microwave is about 20 years old. It has outlasted 2 other microwaves in the pantry and still going strong! The microwave does not have buttons for you to press but a dial to turn instead. No digital readings but analog readings. As it counts down, the readings rotate to show the time left. The seconds reading is 5 seconds apart.
The refrigerator is even older than the microwave. It has been standing for roughly 30 years already yet still keeping our goodies cool. Only one door and has a freezer compartment hanging down from the top inside.
I was very impressed with them. Even after such a long time, they still last but definitely not forever. Sometimes I feel equipment built in the past have better durability than the new ones. Do not mess with the old birds!

What are you going to find out in the next issh?? It is none other than the transport system in Adelaide!! E'nuff said!

No comments: