Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Loaf of Meat!

It can also mean the musician. (He looks pretty round doesn't he? Might be all the loaves he ate and gave him inspiration to sing! :D)

I think this dish is very common in the United States. It was there that I tried it for the very first time at Mel's Diner. I have seen in comics, and hear about them mentioned in movies. Like when the kid comes home and the mom shouts, "Son? There's meatloaf in the fridge." or the mom says, "We're gonna have meatloaf tonight!" and the children reply, "Not agaaaainn?".
Aunt May left Peter Parker a note in the kitchen that wrote, "There's meatloaf in the oven." when he came back in the night.

Meatloaf is really easy to make. The ingredients used are easily found in the kitchen. This recipe had good reviews so I decided to make it for dinner at Kat's place after cell group. The baking time is an hour so you have plenty of time to prepare other things or for my case, wash the dishes.

The two ladies who helped in the making.


as you can see the uncooked meatloaf above. We placed it in the oven and...

It came out like this!

The crust-like layer is actually the sauce that I poured over. Made of only tomato sauce, mustard and brown sugar. I like the combination a lot! And it comes out thick and viscous like caramel. Sweeeet... :D

We cut it into 9 slices and but it was actually meant for 6. The portion would feed 6 nicely. I made it again (except I forgot about putting in the onions) the next day at Alicia's place. Same size but to feed 4. It was a huge portion! Mark was happy because he was starving after the soccer match. I think the amount of food taken in should be just nice. So people won't get the "very nii!" feeling from it. For example, KFC.

I'm very satisfied with this recipe. Will go and try out other variations in time to come. Just need to tell mum that I want to cook dinner and the opportunity opens up. Heh. Go try it! :)

6 comments:

b said...

gosh, it looks better than the picture in the recipe.yums.

aar.n said...

To b: Really? Thanks! Come back soon and I'll make it for you "LIVE"! Haha. The real stuff. :D

Kath said...

I like the pic of the 'final product'! The glossy crisp skin looks like 'sio bak'. =) Good job!

aar.n said...

To Kath: Thanks Kat! I like it too! If it wasn't for your bread tin, we would not have sio bak meatloaf! I'm going to get one myself. Hehehe. :)

D. said...

Hope it doesnt scare you!
(;

http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2009/10/27/meat-hand/

aar.n said...

To D.: I got a shock for a while! Interesting mould. Maybe can make a burnt face one. Haha!!