Wednesday, August 1, 2007

We call it "Eggy in a Basket"

For all those who watched V for Vendetta, you would know what this is immediately. Ever since Evey took that crunchy first bite and said, "Mmm... it's delicious! God, I haven't had real butter since I was a little girl!", I have tried making my very own. "Eggy in a Basket" was what Gordon Deitrich called it. However, this dish goes by many names.

These are two screenshots taken from the movie.

Made by V. He used real butter.


Made by Gordon. It looks too perfect.


Made by me. Definitely the best.

Yes, the one I did was definitely the best eggy in a basket I have ever made. The egg stayed nicely in the centre and the butter yellowed the bread nicely. Mine was not done the proper way. I melted a lot of butter in the pan such that the entire bread surface will absorb it. Oh yea, it was good but I want to make V's one consistently.

In the movie, you can hear the oil crackling as the camera zooms out from the eggy in a basket that V was cooking. Which shows that oil was used and not butter alone. Next, take a look at their eggs. Their eggs are protruding from the bread but mine was not. Which suggests that their bread is thin. The bread I used was cut by myself and was roughly 15mm thick. By looking at the scene where Evey took the first bite, it was probably 10mm thick. Using smaller eggs could also be a possibility. See how clean Gordon's one is! Why does V's eggy in a basket look like there is lacquer on it?

The trouble I am encountering is not having a fixed way of making it such as equipment and the itsy bitsy details. I shall further discuss this when I come back and when I have made a replica of V's. Hehe

Next up! Home sweet home! Whee!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i think you can take into account the fact that they use fake food for filming.

yours looks delicious! butter is best!

aar.n said...

To shihui: Haha! For Gordon's, yes. But I think to make one like V's is quite possible!

Kath said...

Wah... looks delish! You must make some for me when you come back! =)

aar.n said...

To kathryn: Of course! "I am V, at last you know the truth." Haha :P

D. said...

YEEAAAHH!
AARON'S COMING BACK!

-runs around in circles and sticks out tongue at random people-

:D

aar.n said...

To ddaphne: RARR! "I'll be back".

Anonymous said...

Use more oil!

Zen|th said...

So that's what you use your analytical skills for.

Just be sure to cook me one when I get back. Haha.

aar.n said...

To jessica: I'll try!

To zen|th: Why not? You can be my guinea pigs. Hahaha