Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Work? More work?

Hello everyone. Today I am bringing you to a top secret research facility. I am a technician involved in a research project. This is Block J, School of Advanced Manufacturing & Mechanical Engineering. I go to this block every morning to put my bag down and write my daily report.

It looks so "matured".

The highest floor for the school would probably be the 2nd floor. This goes to show how much land Australia has. Now the following 3 pictures are taken in the office where the researchers do their paper work like reports and data organisation.

That is Kim in the picture. She does not want to pose for it.


Morven initially sat there but now I am taking that space.


The desk in front of the printer is where I initially sat. I have swapped with Morven.

When I come to office, I do not know what to do. Everyone around me are either doctors or PhD students doing their thesis. They all have their own computers and they do the work they have to do but for Morven and myself, we feel lost in the office. Morven swapped places with me because he needs to use the computer to do Microsoft Access. I do not know how to use it and neither does he but he is doing fine now. As for me, I turn on the laptop and do my daily report, once I am done, I turn it off and head to block M.

Block M is where the machinery is located. My fellow technicians' office is also located there. This is what the office looks like. There is a fridge, whiteboard, tea, biscuits, car magazines especially on hot rods and classics, tool boxes, yellow pages and a lot more.

I am the boss.

No, I am not the boss. I am a technician. I aid this man named Patrick in the project. Another guy who sits in the office is Ivan. He is also a technician. Both of them are into hot rods and Ivan is really funny. Patrick is like a father. He is just 1 year older than my old man. He has a lot of experience in machining like welding, cutting and so many more. He teaches me a lot of things as well. I am like the apprentice. I follow him around and watch him as he does the work. No, I do not slack. When he thinks I can do something, he will let me do it and he supervise. So far, he has allowed me to do drilling, bend sawing and grinding. Maybe a few more but I cannot think of it. Other things I did was also to cut fabric and become a tailor for a day. I generate ideas and suggest ways that we can do things. Patrick is really a very nice guy.

Where do we do the work? Our project is under construction in a place called the Mezzanine. The Mezzanine looks like this.

Messy messy.

The place is filled with a lot of things. Old air conditioning systems, prototypes of the project, PVC, wooden rods, lithium chloride, cobwebs and more. The table is where we do most of the work. The light is not turned on. The area is bright because sun light enters the roof through a plastic panel. No worries if a blackout occurs. So everyday is almost the same. Sometimes I get to ride in Patrick's utility truck and go out to DIY warehouses to buy equipment. I get to explore more places as well. It is quite nice working here.

Next up! A race event! Apologies for quite a long wait. :D

No comments: